Uses of Propylene Glycol
Propylene glycol is a major ingredient in various home care and other products. Given below are some uses of propylene glycol;
- Propylene glycol is used in various food products like salad dressings, fat free ice creams, food colorings, popcorn, sour cream and cake mixes. It is also used as a preservative and protects food from freezing.
- It is used in household items like sanitizers, room deodorizers, cleaners and automotive anti freezes.
- Propylene glycol is an ingredient in various cosmetics and toiletries like shampoos, soaps, lotions, lipsticks, antiperspirants and creams.
- It is the main ingredient is deodorant sticks and massage oils and is also a carrier in fragrance oils.
- Propylene glycol is used as a coolant in many liquid cooling systems and as a working fluid in hydraulic presses. It is also used in black light or UV tattoo ink.
- Another major use of propylene glycol is that, it is used as a solvent in pharmaceuticals like oral, topical and injectable formulations.